Octopath Traveler offers a delightful throwback to JRPGs of the past, but players who want to make the most out of it will need to understand the mechanics behind the job system in the game. You’ll need to learn about job bonuses and skills to make sure your characters are as efficient as possible. After all, not every character makes a good match for each job. In this article we’ll cover all the details on job classes in Octopath Traveler including both active and passive skills, attribute bonuses and equippable weapons.
All Job Classes, Skills and Attribute Bonuses in Octopath Traveler
Octopath Traveler offers eight different core jobs, with the basic classes held by each of the main characters. In addition to their starting job, each character in the game is able to start one secondary job which opens up new skills and attribute bonuses. It’s worth noting that multiple characters can’t have the same secondary jobs equipped, so you’ll want to make sure the most suited character gets each. In addition, equipping a secondary job doesn’t give you access to new Path Actions or Talents as those are dependent on the character rather than the classes.
As you progress through the game, you’ll unlock more skills depending on your class. Passive skills unlock at set intervals, arriving after 4,5,6 and finally 7 active skills have been unlocked. The eight and final, Divine skill won’t unlock until you’ve earned the other seven available. While the first two skills are free, you can earn the rest by spending a certain number of Job Points. The third unlocks after spending 30 points, the fourth after 100, the fifth after 500, the sixth after 1,000, the seventh after 3,000 and the eighth after a hefty 5,000 Job Points. That’s a grand total of 9,630 Job Points to unlock the full set and turn a character into a master of that job class.
Check out the complete list of classes below to see the weapons they can use, the bonuses you’ll get and all of the active and passive skills that class can earn.
- Max HP +20%
- Physical Attack +1.5%
- Physical Defense +1.5%
- Critical +1.5%
- Elemental Attack +1.5%
- First Aid (4 SP) - Heal a single ally.
- Icicle (7 SP) - Deal ice damage to one enemy.
- Rehabilitate (10 SP) - Cure one ally of all status ailments and make them immune to all ailments for two turns.
- Amputation (8 SP) - Axe attack a single enemy
- Empoison (6 SP) - Apply poison to one enemy for two turns.
- Vivify (16 SP) - Revive a single incapacitated ally.
- Last Stand (16 SP) - Attack all enemies and deal damage inversely proportional to remaining health.
- Dohter's Charity (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Makes items used by one character affect the full party for three turns.
- Inspiration - Gain SP equal to 1% of the damage you deal for each successful attack.
- Hale and Hearty - Increases maximum HP by 500.
- Resist Ailments - Improves resistance to poison, sleep, confusion, blindness, silence, terror, and unconsciousness.
- Heightened Healing - Gain 30% additional SP when healed or restored.
- Max SP +18%
- Elemental Attack +5%
- Elemental Defense +5%
- Heal Wounds (8 SP) - Heal all allies.
- Holy Light (6 SP) - Deal light-type damage to one enemy.
- Sheltering Veil (6 SP) - Augment one ally's elemental defense for two turns.
- Luminescence (9 SP) - Deal light-type damage to all enemies.
- Heal More (25 SP) - Restore a large amount of health to all allies.
- Reflective Veil (22 SP) - Allows one ally to reflect an elemental-type attack.
- Revive (50 SP) - Revive all incapacitated allies.
- Aelfric's Auspices (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Skills for a chosen ally will trigger twice for three turns. (This will not affect other Divine Skills.)
- Persistence - Status buffs you receive will last an extra turn.
- Inner Strength - Increases the equipped character’s maximum SP by 50.
- Evil Ward - Increases the chance of successfully fleeing a fight (does not stack with multiple characters having the skill)
- Saving Grace - Equipped character can be healed above their maximum HP.
- Elemental Attack +8%
- Speed +10%
- Evasion 10%
- Lion Dance (4 SP) - Buff one ally’s physical attacks for two turns.
- Moonlight Waltz (7 SP) - Deal a great amount of dark-type damage to one enemy.
- Peacock Strut (4 SP) - Buff one ally’s elemental attacks for two turns.
- Mole Dance (4 SP) - Buff one ally's physical defense for two turns.
- Night Ode (10 SP) - Deal dark damage to all enemies.
- Panther Dance (4 SP) - Buff one ally's speed for two turns.
- Bewildering Grace (25 SP) - Cause a curious effect to occur one time.
- Sealticge's Seduction (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Makes one ally’s single-target skills affect all enemies instead for three turns (does not affect Divine Skills).
- The Show Goes On - Status buffs for allies last one turn more.
- Eye for an Eye - Gain a 50% chance of counterattacking any physical attack.
- Second Wind - Recover SP each turn.
- Encore - Once per battle, you will automatically recover with 25% of your maximum HP when incapacitated.
- Physical Attack +8%
- Accuracy +6%
- Critical +6%
- Speed +5%
- Evasion +5%
- Rain of Arrows (8 SP) - Perform 5-8 bow attacks on random enemies.
- True Strike (10 SP) - Using a bow, deal critical damage to a single enemy.
- Thunderbird (7 SP) - Deal heavy lightning damage to a single target.
- Leghold Trap (6 SP) - Force one enemy to act last for two turns.
- Mercy Strike (4 SP) - Target a single enemy with a bow. Lethal attacks will instead leave the target with 1 HP.
- Arrowstorm (24 SP) - Perform 5-8 bow attacks on all enemies.
- Take Aim (8 SP) - Buff and ally’s accuracy and critical chance for two turns.
- Draefendi's Rage (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Attack all enemies with a powerful bow attack.
- Heighten Senses - Buff your chances of attacking first each fight (effect does not stack with multiple characters).
- Eagle Eye - Buff critical rate of equipped character by 50.
- Second Serving - Equipped character gains a 50% chance of attacking twice with every standard attack.
- Patience - Equipped character gains a 25% chance of acting again at the end of a turn.
- Max HP +8%
- Physical Attack +3%
- Physical Defense +3%
- Max SP +8%
- Elemental Attack +3%
- Elemental Defense +3%
- Collect (2 SP) - Take money from a single enemy.
- Tradewinds (7 SP) - Deal a large amount of win-type damage to a single target.
- Rest (0 SP) - Cure all your own status ailments and restore both HP and SP.
- Trade Tempest (10 SP) - Deal wind damage to all enemies.
- Donate BP (3 SP) - Give 1 BP to an ally.
- Sidestep (10 SP) - Grants 100% chance to dodge one physical attack.
- Hired Help (0 SP) - Summon hired help to the battle by paying money.
- Bifelgan's Bounty (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Attack a single foe with non-elemental damage, gain money based on the damage dealt.
- Endless Items - Equipped character gains 25% chance to not consume items used.
- Grows on Trees - Gain extra money reward after battles (effect does not stack with multiple characters).
- Hang Tough - When equipped character is far from death, any attacks that would incapacitate them will instead reduce them to 1 HP.
- SP Saver - Equipped character’s SP usage is halved.
- Max SP +13%
- Elemental Attack +10%
- Elemental Defense +5
- Fireball (8 SP) - Attack all enemies with fire damage.
- Icewind (8 SP) - Attack all enemies with ice damage.
- Lightning Bolt (8 SP) - Attack all enemies with lightning damage
- Analyze (1 SP) - Reveal HP and one weakness of a single foe (additional weaknesses can be revealed with Boost Points).
- Fire Storm (22 SP) - Attack all enemies with fire damage twice.
- Blizzard (22 SP) - Attack all enemies with ice damage twice.
- Lightning Blast (22 SP) - Attack all enemies with lightning damage twice.
- Alephan's Enlightenment (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Spells by single ally that usually target all enemies instead focus on a single target and deal extreme damage.
- Evasive Maneuvers - Reduces frequency of random battles (effect does not stack with multiple characters).
- Elemental Augmentation - Buffs equipped character's elemental attack strength by 50.
- Percipience - Prevents the party from being surprised by foes (effect does not stack with multiple characters).
- Vim and Vigor - Equipped character regenerates HP each turn.
- Physical Attack +2%
- Accuracy +5%
- Critical +5%
- Speed +8%
- Evasion +8%
- Steal (2 SP) - Steal an item from one target.
- Wildfire (7 SP) - Deal heavy fire damage to a single enemy.
- HP Thief (6 HP) - Attack one target twice with a dagger, stealing HP equivalent to half of damage dealt.
- Shackle Foe (4 SP) - Reduce one target’s physical attack strength for two turns.
- Armor Corrosive (4 SP) - Reduce one target’s physical defense for two turns.
- Steal SP (6 SP) - Attack one target twice with a dagger, stealing SP equivalent to 5% of your current SP to a single ally.
- Share SP (0 SP) - Give SP equivalent to 50% of your current SP to a single ally.
- Aeber's Reckoning (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Attack all enemies with a dagger, dealing damage proportional to your speed.
- Incidental Attack - Gain a 50% chance to attack as well whenever using non-damaging skills on enemies.
- Fleetfoot - Increases the equipped character's speed by 50.
- Snatch - Receive double loot when using Steal or Collect with this character.
- Insult to Injury - Status ailments and attribute penalties dealt by this character last for an extra turn.
- Max HP +18%
- Physical Attack +5%
- Physical Defense +5
- Level Slash (9 SP) - Attack all enemies with a sword.
- Abide (4 SP) - Increase your physical attack strength for three turns.
- Spearhead (6 SP) - Attack one enemy with a polearm, then act earlier on the next turn.
- Incite (4 SP) - Taunt enemies making you more commonly targeted for three turns.
- Cross Strike (12 SP) - A strong sword attack on a single target.
- Stout Wall (4 SP) - Buff caster’s physical defense for three turns.
- Thousand Spears (20 SP) - Attack random enemies 5-10 times with a polearm.
- Brand's Thunder (30 SP; Divine Skill) - Target a single enemy with an extremely powerful sword attack.
- Cover - The character will absorb single-targeted damage for any allies close to death.
- Summon Strength - Increases the physical attack strength of the character by 50.
- Endure - When the equipped character is afflicted with poison, sleep, confusion, blindness, silence, terror or unconsciousness, their physical and elemental defense is buffed.
- Surpassing Power - Increases the maximum damage that can be dealt by this character to 99,999.
Keep your party in tip-top shape with the other Octopath Traveler guides available here on AllGamers, or our friends over at ShackNews.