Doom Eternal will be getting a single-player horde mode in an upcoming update, as fans await the second part of The Ancient Gods DLC later this year.
In the announcement today, id Software said that the new mode would be taking precedence over Invasion Mode, a previously shown game feature which allowed for Dark Souls-style invasions into other players' games.
"As many are aware, we intended to release a free Invasion Mode update for the game; however, the unforeseen consequences of the pandemic and remote working impacted the progresss of development for this addition," executive producer Marty Stratton said in the statement. "Over this time, we have also seen and heard how many of you enjoy the range of gameplay and combat available in the expansions and master levels. With these factors in mind, we have decided to redirect our focus from Invasion Mode to creating a totally new single-player horde mode.
"We're confident this horde mode will offer you more of the diversity and challenge you're looking for in the game. In addition, the team continues to work on a refresh of BATTLEMODE that includes a more competitive, rank-based structure, a number of gameplay and balance updates and another new map. We expect to share more information at QuakeCon in August."
QuakeCon will be taking place on August 19 this year, and should hopefully include more information about the second half of The Ancient Gods DLC that fans are awaiting to conclude the Slayer's story started in Doom 2016. Which is also technically an extension of the story begun in the original Doom if you count the "Lost Levels" of Doom 64, which were included in the Nintendo Switch re-release. This is how the canon works.
Doom Eternal's latest update, on June 29, added ray-tracing graphics options to Xbox Series X and PS5, as well as the Taras Nabad Master Level. Are you excited to find out what a horde mode in Doom would look like?Load Comments